Tuesday 7 December 2021

How to know my inner calling or Swadharma


Why should I know my inner calling? 
To act according to one’s own taste, inborn & natural, is the way to live in peace & joy, in success & satisfaction. “To act against the grain of one’s own inner calling, would be acting in terms of Para-dharma & that is fraught with danger” Bhagavad Geeta Chapter 3.



How do we find our inner calling or Swadharma(term used in the Bhagavad Geeta)? There is no magic wand or a magical potion or a mantra to know it. Exploring talents, asking people, taking psychometric/aptitude tests etc. can definitely help. But what is most important is to look within, ask the right questions and think about them sincerely. 



What is Swadharma?  

It is the meeting point between Temperament, Talent, Passion, Need, & Service.


Temperament:

Am I Sattvik/Rajasik/Tamsic predominantly?  

Am I an introvert or an extrovert?

Am I a thinker/leader/entrepreneur/worker?
Predominantly I am logically/emotionally/physically oriented?


Talent:

What am i really good at?

Survey wide fields of talents, cultivate small ones.  
Explore different classes/courses/clubs/fields etc.  


Passion: 

•What interests me?

•What are my greatest strengths? 

•If there are no obstacles, restraining factors or possibilities of failure, what would I choose to do with my life?

•What gives me a sense of purpose?

•If money were no obstacle, what would I spend my time doing?

•What are the things that I do effortlessly and lose the sense of time?

•What activities make me like myself?

•What would I be happy doing for the rest of my life regardless of what I am appreciated for?  

•What is that where the work itself is the reward?
•Who are the 3 people who inspire me the most?

•What inspired me when I was 5 – 10 years old? 11 – 16 years old? 17-21? 22 to 25? write down separately for each age group. You may find something common. 





Better is one’s own ‘duty’(swadharma) though devoid of merit, than the ‘duty’ of another well discharged.  Better is death in one’s own swadharma, the duty of another(paradharma) is fraught with fear & dangerous.  -  Geeta Ch.3 verse 35


Need:  

•How can I monetise my passion to earn a living?

•What kind of life-style will make me happy?

•Can I work under someone or I need to be independent?

•What is the big need in my life, my family and how can I help?

•Do I like to be steady or Im ok with frequent changes?





Service:

•How can I best help and serve others?

•What is the need in the world? How can I contribute towards it?

•What do I want the world to remember me for?


Did you find common trends across your answers? If so,  this could be a good indication of your swadharma. Do what is natural to you.  Avoid comparisons.  You don't have to 'fit-in' or compromise.  Happy exploring. 

Explore more details in the YouTube link given below: 




























No comments: